On 11/5/05 1:20 PM, "Eric Scheid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Also, while "alternate"
>> expressly says the feed corresponds in some way to the content of the
>> current page, "feed" simply says "here is a feed of some kind", and
>> isn't a relationship at all.
>
> Depends on how you read the word 'feed'. It can indicate a relationship,
> that being "this is the feed in which an entry representing this page (or
> portion thereof) was once found, and may again be found".
>
> I, like some, feel uncomfortable with those usage of autodiscovery links to
> point to just any feed, from any page. Links to feed resource documents are
> not necessarily links to feeds.

On reflection, I thought I'd better check what the spec says...
http://philringnalda.com/rfc/draft-ietf-atompub-autodiscovery-01.html

    The purpose of Atom autodiscovery is for clients who know the
    URI of a web page to find the location of that page's associated
    Atom feed.

There is also this in section 6

  € The order of the autodiscovery elements is significant.
    The first element SHOULD point to the publisher's preferred
    feed for the document.

... thus [1] auto-discovery is *not* for the general case of linking to just
*any* feed resource, but specifically the one associated to the current
page/site. Which is a specific relationship, one we can name 'feed' (or
'fred', or 'barney' ... but 'feed' gets my vote).

e.

[1] I conclude ... and so might any reader of the spec who is ignorant of
the full backstory.