Antone Roundy wrote:

On Tuesday, July 5, 2005, at 10:11  AM, Tim Bray wrote:

On Jul 5, 2005, at 8:58 AM, Bob Wyman wrote:

    We can debate what it means to have an "interoperability" issue,
however, my personal feeling is that if systems are forced to break and
discard signatures in order to perform usual and customary processing on entries that falls very close to the realm of interoperability if not within it. Deferring this issue until the implementer's guide is written is likely to defer it beyond the point at which common practice is established. The result is likely to be that intermediaries and aggregators end up discarding
most signatures that appear in source feeds.

Huh?! Pardon my ignorance, could you please provide an explanation for the simple-minded as to how the absence of a source element in a signed entry will lead to signatures being discarded? Also, it would be helpful to sketch in some of the surrounding scenario... -Tim

If a signed entry doesn't have a source element and an aggregator inserts one, the signature will be broken--thus the aggregator will either discard the signature or republish the entry with a broken signature.

Perhaps language like this would work without being too much of a change at this late date:

"When signing individual entries that do not contain an atom:source element, be aware that aggregators inserting an atom:source element will be unable to retain the signature. For this reason, publishers might consider including an atom:source element in all individually signed entries."

+1.

I think this thread shows that the implications of signing individual entries sans atom:source elements are nonobvious and worth a (non-normative) note to help implementors, if this will not delay things.

--
John Panzer
Sr Technical Manager, AOL