On 15/08/2005, at 4:28 PM, Robert Sayre wrote:
Why is it desirable to promote mulitple syndication formats?
Practically any RSS2 extension would be ok in Atom, and any Atom
element would be legal in RSS2. If feed-history used atom:link, it
would get xml:base processing and link descriptions "for free."

Because it's not free; publishers have to declare the Atom namespace, and that's confusing; atom:link is defined in the context of Atom, not in the context of RSS. I'm interested in getting things working, not playing the syndication format advocacy game.

There's a difference between promoting multiple syndication formats and accommodating the reality that there are many.

I'm guessing extensions "that will work equally well in all versions
of RSS" must be valid RDF. This feels like crypto-RDF-advocacy to me,
which seems a little pointless.

Er, no.

Mark, James, and anyone else are obviously free to spec any extension
they want. That said, it feels fishy to call RDF modules Atompub
drafts given that the WG rejected RDF with prejudice (I wouldn't count
myself in that camp, though I do despise RDF-promises and RDF-lessons
offered instead of RDF-benefits and RDF-running-code).

This isn't an atompub draft, it's a draft to the attention of the atompub WG (hence draft-nottingham-atompub).