Le 05-08-26 à 18:59, Bob Wyman a écrit :
    Karl, Please, accept my apologies for this. I could have sworn we
had the policy prominently displayed on the site. I know we used to have it there. This must have been lost when we did a site redesign last November! I'm really surprised that it has taken this long to notice that it is gone.
I'll see that we get it back up.

Thank you very much for your honest answer. Much appreciated.

You see educating users is not obvious it seems ;) No offense, it
just shows that it is not an easy accessible information. And
there's a need to educate Services too.

    Point taken. I'll get it fixed. It's a weekend now. Give me a few
days... I'm not sure, but I think it makes sense to put this on the
"add-feed" page at: http://www.pubsub.com/add_feed.php . Do you agree?

Yes I guess a warning here plus a way of saying to users that they can change their mind later on might be useful.

    Yes, forged pings or unauthorized third-party pings are a real
issue. Unfortunately, the current design of the pinging system gives us absolutely no means to determine if a ping is authorized by the publisher.

Exact. We will run into Identification problems if we go further, with big privacy issues.

I argued last year that we should develop a blogging or syndication architecture document in much the same way that the TAG documented the web
architecture and in the way that most decent standards groups usually
produce some sort of reference architecture document.

Yes I remember that. I remember you talking about it at the New-York meeting, we had in May 2004.

    Some solutions, like requiring that pings be "signed" would work
from a technical point of view, but are probably not practical except in some limited cases. (e.g. Signatures may make sense as a way to enable "Fat
Pings" from small or personal blog sites.

The thing is that a unique solution will not be enough.

I may want to be able
    - to “authorize” services A, B and C to do things with my content,
    - but to forbid services X, Y and Z to use my content.

Right now it's very hard to do that, except if you are a geek and you can block bots by their IP address and hoping that this IP will not change. It's why I would think that having services respecting license of contents would be a first step.

In a service which aggregates the news from different sources. Some of the sources might be licensed for commercial use and some others not at all. Flickr has the start of a very interesting acknowledgement of that somehow.

    http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

* Maybe services like PubSub, Technorati, Bloglines, etc. should display the license in the search results. That would be a first step. * Second step would be to not use the content in a commercial activity if it has been marked as such. (data mining, marketing profile, etc.)

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***