It's late here, but since I have been called...

Clearly the order of the entries could not be deduced from the tags themselves.
One would need to have an extra tag in there such as this <position> tag

<feed>
   <entry>
      <id>tag:first-in-list</id>
      <ext:position>1</position>
      <title>The Graphes of Wrath</title>
      <update>1 July 2005</udpated>
   </entry>
</feed>
to specify the order of the entry. I think at the time I was talking in the context
of that being proposed.

Again it is late, but I think my idea of having a entry always stay at the same position was that I was thinking that from one week to another one could just change the content
of the entry

<feed>
   <entry>
      <id>tag:first-in-list</id>
      <ext:position>1</position>
      <title>Of Mice and Men</title>
      <update>8 July 2005</udpated>
   </entry>
</feed>

So that one could still think of a feed as a sequence of changes to resources. One would then, I thought, not need to republish the whole list of entries, just those that changed from week to week. As a result there was I thought, no need for
a <stateful> tag.

But the problem with that suggestion was that it could not cope well with mistaken feed updates. So that if I mistakenly entered "Of Mice and Men" but I meant to enter "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" then adding the following entry

<feed>
   <entry>
      <id>tag:first-in-list</id>
      <ext:position>1</position>
      <title>The Restaurant at the end of the Universe</title>
      <update>8 July 2005</udpated>
   </entry>
</feed>

would tend to indicate that the change was insignificant, whereas a change of date would tend to indicate that the there was a new entry in first position.

Some proposed that one should distinguish therefore between the update time of the
entry and the update time of the object of the entry...

Henry