FWIW, the Media RSS extension cites http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/ modules/dcterms/#valid] as a best practice.

On 29/09/2005, at 4:45 PM, James Holderness wrote:

Just a follow-up on the representation of Date Ranges in dublin core. I was under the mistaken impression that you needed to use a DCMI Period encoding to represent a date range, but apparently ISO 8601 time intervals are perfectly valid. In order to clarify the situation, the DC Date Working Group has recently recommended the following replacement for the comment associated with the date element:

"Typically, Date will be associated with the creation or availability of the resource. A date value may be a single date or a date range. Date values may express temporal information at any level of granularity (including time). Recommended best practice for encoding the date value is to supply an unambiguous representation of the single date or date range using a widely- recognized syntax (e.g., YYYY-MM-DD for a single date; YYYY-MM-DD/ YYYY-MM-DD for a date range; YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM to specify a single date and time down to the minute)."

Full details of the recommendation can be found here:
http://dublincore.org/usage/meetings/2005/09/madrid/files/ 2005-07-29.date-comment.txt

Personally I think that makes the idea of using dublin core for this extension a whole lot more palatable.