Yeah, I've been thinking a bit about that. The only thing that was holding me back was that atom:published is optional and only appears on atom:entry. I wanted the extension to be able to work on the feed level also. That said, the spec could be updated to say that IF the published date is used on the entry, it represents the moment at which the entry is considered "valid" and becomes the base for the age:max-age element.
- James