James M Snell wrote:
The feed thread draft is a major update that includes a simplification of the in-reply-to element.

  <in-reply-to
    id="tag:example.org,2005:some-unique-id"
    href="http://example.com/some-location"; />

I really like what you've done with this. I have a couple of questions though.

What is the type of the resource pointed to by the in-reply-to href? It seems to me it can't be an Atom feed since that isn't really a representation of the resource being responded to (although that would probably be most useful here). An Atom entry document? An HTML web page? What would you expect a client application to do with this value? A link to the source feed I could see myself using (in combination with the id obviously), but I'm not sure about the other two.

Second question: what is the reason for recommending a related link when the href points to something external? It seems to me an unnecessary duplication of information but I may be missing something. And once again what would you expect the client to do with it? A HTML page could be provided to the user as a clickable link, but an Atom feed? An Atom entry document? Obviously the answer to this depends on the type of the href, which brings us back to initial question.

Regards
James