* James Holderness <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-12-11 03:55]:
> What do you think such a client would typically do with related
> links? I don't know about anyone else, but what I do is display
> them in a "see also" list that the user can launch in a browser
> window. This works very well when the links are to web pages or
> other resources that can be handled usefully by a browser, but
> it's a complete waste of time if the link is pointing to an
> Atom feed.

You do that even if it’s

    <link rel="related" type="application/atom+xml" href="..." />

?

> Maybe there's a better way. Can you imagine some other way in
> which clients might handle related links (without knowing
> anything about this extension) that would be able to do
> something useful with a link that pointed to an Atom feed -
> specifically the Atom feed that the current message is replying
> to?

Minimally, it can pull the feed and look for its alternate link.
Less minimally it can also look at all the other metadata that
Atom documents can contain.

We’re talking about an Atom consumer here; that it wouldn’t be
able to do something sensible with Atom docs strikes me as an odd
objection.