On May 17, 2006, at 9:36 AM, Sylvain Hellegouarch wrote:
Besides you do not answer the question of HTTP caching I mentionned.
Basically it would break most planets out there which rely heavily on the '304 Not Modified' status code to check if a feed has been modified. In this case a server such as Apache would respond: "well yes the file has changed on the disk so here it is" when in fact the content of the feed
has only changed for the number of comments of an entry.

I do think the document could use a note pointing out that using thr:when and thr:count may increase bandwidth usage by reducing the number of instances where you can send '304 Not Modified' responses. Publishers should weigh the value of those attributes against the cost of providing them when deciding whether to include them in their feeds.