Alastair Rankine wrote:

Hello Atom folks,

Here is a proposal for an Atom-derived format for exporting of content.

The problem I'm trying to solve is that of migration from one authoring system (eg blogging engine) to another. Atom is highly suited to this task.

The full problem statement, and the reasons for basing the solution on Atom, are all described in the proposal published here:

http://girtby.net/offerings/atomexport

There is no implementation yet.

I look forward to your comments on this document.

Very quickly (I'm overloaded atm) - this is excellent.

I've been looking at using Atom Entries for roundtripping/backup and interchange, especially in CMSes, for some time. The ultimate dump format in terms of expressiveness is RDF/XML, but it can be complicated. Atom offers a lot of value with comparative simplicity largely because atom:id can survive across systems*, but also because the flat format of entries maps well onto relational data (it's particularly good for dumping metadata). One hard problem is in usefully storing and indexing received foreign markup.

cheers
Bill

* that said, for "consumer" data, the APP leans towards, or least allows, rewriting of atom:ids due to trust issues.