Lisa,

first, I think I misread Mark's point when I quoted his blog entry:

"The Web doesn’t do generic query"
<http://www.markbaker.ca/blog/2006/08/09/sparql-useful-but-not-a-game- changer/>

He does talk about hiding the actual query by merely passing in parameters; he does not talk about dividing the query space into subsets. Sorry about that.