On 05/11/2012 11:38 AM, George Galt wrote:
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Chris Schanzle<schan...@nist.gov>  wrote:
I would say about 25% of the time, mythbackend doesn't start on my Fedora 16
box on reboot.  From the logs, it appears the local mysqld is not ready to
accept connections.  Unfortunately, it doesn't try to reconnect and the
result is missed recordings and a non-functional frontend.  Restarting
mythbackend (service mythbackend restart) is the band-aid.

Is there some improvement we can make to the initscript to ensure we can
talk to the sql server?  I realize it might not be local on the box, so we
can't just depend on the mysqld service.

Note mysqld is a systemd service while mythbackend is a SysV service (init.d
script).

I'd take a stab at a fix, but would appreciate any guidance on the best
direction to head.

Thanks!

Chris:

Any luck on developing something that works here?  I've noticed others
are also having this issue and I'll probably take a look at it this
weekend, but if you've made a headstart, please let me know.

I poked at it back in April but a mythtv update overwrote my mods, didn't get
any response, so I presumed it was just me.  My mysqldb is quite large
(/var/lib/mysql/mythconverge = 222MB) so I can imagine MySQL might take a few
seconds to become ready.

Putting a few more thoughts into it, I don't think this could/should be fixed
with initscripts, but rather is a bug in mythbackend which should attempt to
connect to the configured db until success, not just fail once and fall over.

From /var/log/boot.log, MySQL is starting before the mythbackend SYSV script,
so that's good.

At this point, I'd take hack of a 'sleep 10' delay to the start() section of
/etc/init.d/mythbackend and run with it until a real fix is implemented.  :-)

Chris