On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 8:56:02 AM UTC-6, gmhwxi wrote:

> I can only outline a way in ATS that more or less matches
> the printf example in your message. In ATS, the function PrintfType
> can not be defined.
>
> On the other hand, if I understand correctly, your printf code in Idris
> would
> not be so easy to use if the format string is not a constant. For instance,
> I remember seeing an example in K&R where the format string is constructed
> at run-time.

Although I'm not sure how it works under the hood, the Idris example does
work with run-time constructed strings. That was originally what I was
trying to figure out: whether the strict separation between statics and
dynamics in ATS made this approach constant-only.  But then I couldn't
figure out how to translate the example.

Since PrintfType can't be an ATS function, is there a more canonical way to
do a function like this printf thing in ATS? Or is this just a current
limitation of the language?