"Janusz S. Bien" <jsb...@mimuw.edu.pl> writes:

Hi Janusz,

>> I assumed incorrectly that ELPA will overwrite the Debian package.
>> After uninstalling it the situation improved. I mean that auctex
>> works but I have to load it by hand. I guess it's not how it should
>> be.
>
> I was wrong, it's loaded automatically.

Ok, good.

>> I get also a message
>>
>> byte-code: Invalid function: TeX-auto-add-type
>
> The first attempt to open a TeX file from dired fails with the above
> messages, the second attempt succeeds.

That's strange.  Could you please start a new emacs instance, do M-x
toggle-debug-on-error, and then open a tex file so that you get this
error?  This will open a *backtrace* buffer on errer whose contents you
can post here.

And could you also please do M-x list-load-path-shadows RET and post the
results?

Bye,
Tassilo