I have just updated my auctex from elpa to auctex-11.89.5.

I would like to know:

1- How does emacs know the new path to auctex-11.89.5 as nothing has
changed in my .emacs file ((add-to-list 'load-path
"~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.88.6") is still there but emacs uses now:

2- In a previous version of auctex, if I used the local variables to
define the TeX-master file with \documentclass{beamer}, for instance:

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: "15-11-2016-beamer"
%%% End:

at the end of a file loaded in the master file 15-11-2016-beamer.tex by
an \input or \include command, then the beamer macros were loaded and I
could use the keyboard shortcut C-c C-e to set a beamer environments in
the "slave" file.

This does not work now....

How can I recover this feature?

Thank you.