jfbu writes:

Le 17/10/2016 à 16:39, Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo a écrit :
Hi, François.   François Patte writes:

1- How does emacs know the new path to auctex-11.89.5 as nothing has changed in my .emacs file ((add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.88.6") is still there but emacs uses now: ~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.89.5/)

Probably package-initialize is called in your init file after that add-to-list. If you do not a call to package-initialize in your init file, it gets added to it automatically by package.el.

Just a side note: I find this a bit bad, because in my case I have an .emacs which is used as a dispatch depending on the version of Emacs in use. Hence the forcefully added package-initialize needed to be manually corrected for use only in the correct branches.

If the first line of your .emacs is the call to package-initialize commented out:

then package.el doesn't try to add that line again.

auctex mailing list