On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:50 AM, James Crook <cro...@indigo.ie> wrote:

> I wrote the DarkAudacity variant of Audacity, and deliberately chose to
> use a name that did not disguise the origin of the code.
>
> In the past we had rip-off artists selling Audacity as 'Luxuriosity' on
> eBay.
> We do not want to encourage that.  We don't want to encourage the hiding
> of the provenance of the code.
>
> For DarkAudacity I spot the string 'Audacity' and replace it with
> 'DarkAudacity'.  Paul may be producing a custom branch too, and I expect he
> will use the same mechanism.  There is no benefit/need for a template for
> supporting other versions or branches of Audacity.
>
> I doubt taking Audacity out of the strings would save enough translator
> work to be worth it.  There are possibly also languages which form
> compounds, e.g. 'of Audacity', 'in Audacity', 'by Audacity'.  A template
> would make that harder to do.  Paul is trying to reduce the extent to which
> we have words out of context.  I think the proposed template would go in
> the other direction.  So not a good idea for translation either.
>
> --James.

Right you are, James.  I have been trying to educate the programmers to be
mindful of languages with gender agreement or case variations of words,
which is why presenting single words out of context to the translators is a
bad idea.  Strings should be longer, even if that sometimes means some
nearly identical long strings that only vary one or two words.

PRL