On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 1:55 PM, Paul Licameli <paul.licam...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I got this notification from Transifex, forwarding a query from one of
> you, and not sure how to respond at that site, so I write to this mailing
> list:
>
> "
> Error:~%~%Frequency (~a Hz) is too high for track sample rate.~%~%~ Track
> sample rate is ~a Hz~%~ Frequency must be less than ~a Hz.
>
> 1%F is recognized as placeholder - no problem for Dutch translation
> because "frequentie" (nl) starts with f like "frequency", but maybe other
> languages will have problems.
> "
>
> Either I misunderstand the report, or the translator does not understand
> that this is a Lisp-format string, not C-format.  So % does not have the
> usual meaning.
>
> The Lisp function called format changes ~% to a newline, so ~%Frequency
> becomes just a newline and then the word -- no relation to the C format %f
> sequence.
>
> Also ~~ becomes ~, and ~ followed by newline is just a break in the string
> to make the format easier to read, and is simply deleted, with following
> whitespace characters, by format.
>
> The ~a sequence is the only placeholder.  Unlike with C, there is no need
> in Lisp to distinguish placeholders for strings and for numbers with
> different sequences.
>
> Or is it the .po file editor that is misunderstanding the input and making
> some incorrect warnings about this string?  Perhaps then there is a better
> editing program to use instead!

You should also know:  there are special generated comments in the .pot
file, that are supposed to identify format strings:

#, c-format
#, lisp-format

These comments are used in the build to check that the number of
placeholders in the msgid equals that in the msgstr.

Perhaps a good .po file editor is sensitive to these lines?

I checked this example, and one other that the translator mentioned, and
indeed the audacity.pot has a #, lisp-format comment, not #, c-format, so I
hope your editor is good enough not to misinterpret the message as c-format
when it is clearly marked otherwise.

PRL