Re: what was the first audiogame you ever played?

@Fastfinge: that is really interesting. My first games were IF, and now they're predominantly text again too, despite my full enjoyment of many audio games. My audio gaming was predominant in university, before which it was all IF, and of course shared time with AQ (I met Matt at uni). This was about the time of the "Crazy" development in classical, early-movement no-can-win audio games for Windows, though I'd also played some DOS ones in my youth too. But soon AQ became the sole source of audio entertainment, as my attention shifted again to IF, and I wondered how I'd ever managed to get distracted by audio games at all. I still feel that way, especially when I'm in full-screen Linux console with the BSD games before me. And by now, anyway, I had better things to do than play games (or so I thought, before I eventually joined this forum smile ), like look for a job and skills, so I was necessarily restricted to games which were easily run along with my other work that I could get distracted by on-demand.

Text is the killer medium. It is unsurpassed, and unsurpassable. It goes everywhere, it crosses platforms, it's easy to access, you can run it alongside your other work, and it doesn't require bloody registration. Oh yeah, and text can describe anything. It is the intent of any game, and while it requires you think to make it work for you, it provides guarantees no other medium can. smile

But sometimes you just need audio to test your reflexes. Course, I've tried the newer games, but I don't love them as seriously as I loved the classics (PCS, GMA, VIP, BSC, ESP, whatever). And I never have time for them; the VM is always reverted before you know it. Perhaps that's the problem; the amateur classics have all g one away, and with it a significant amount of easy-access quality time and community achievement. Still, I've only now just tried Technoshock, Night of Parasite and Self Destruct. I can't deny that being easy to access and register is a great help, for example many iOS games, when I'm in the right mood to disconnect from the computer and work and just enjoy iOS, are great candidates. But even there, many of these are simply CYoA or RPG and so you're right back to text. I think Entombed has been the one exception to that rule, partly because of the still-surviving activation system but mostly because of the depth of the game and the wonderful music!

Now that I've had more time to catch up around here, I hope to be able to turn back the clock a little and see some delight in specifically audio-only action games. However, that's not proved to be quite yet. Perhaps RTR2 will do it? smile

  • Re: [Audioga... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: jjgeek
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: fastfinge
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: fastfinge
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: fastfinge
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Sebby
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Sebby
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: danny
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: SLJ
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Manu
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: pelantas
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Kyleman123
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: FamilyMario
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Guitarman
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: kamochek
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: CAE_Jones
    • Re: [Au... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: harrylst