Re: Materia Magica and the Mark of Wisdom

@Mirage, it's a long time sinse I played the game but as I recall the mark of wisdom puzzle is essentially just like Jim Kitchin's mastermind with you having to enter the rooms  in a random order to make the right colours light up on the main obelisk, with one colour meaning you had right room in wrong order, and another meaning right room in right place, and another meaning wrong room in wrong place.

I'm afraid I don't recall the exact way the puzzle worked, ie, which colours signified which states, but I remember once I'd worked out that it was essentially a game of mastermind it wasn't a problem to do.

@haramir, I'm not sure what you mean in terms of inaccessibility, sinse the game has got a huge amount of access fixes, like the really useful nearby and other mapping commands, indeed the wilderness was a favourite part of the game for me.
My only two major problems and why I stopped playing were as you said, the upper limit for marks meaning that you need to either sit around with a wiki open and follow religiously, or basically level up too high and miss a bunch of stuff, and the time limit for randomly generated quests which made them nearly impossible to complete.
I think however some major changes have occurred to both of these, for example I believe there is now a mark finder command to give you better ideas of how to find marks, and I know the randomly generated quests don't kick in with the time limit until later, there's probably still a topic kicking around sinse we had one of the devs on here not too long ago.