Re: positive discrimination?

Payment of a disability allowance is justified because living as a disabled person is more expensive, although the cost varries depending on which disability a person has, and how severe it is. I think it might be more fair for the government to focus on subsidising the specific costs of disability, although this would have much more administrative overhead cost.

free or discounted prices on transportation is somewhat justified since we cannot drive. Although there are plenty of sighted people who cannot drive, yet need to pay for publictransit. I suppose we could also justify this by arguing that even just walking to our destination can be harder, so we're more dependant on public transit than a sighted person who cannot drive, but I'm not too sure what I think of this argument.

priority given when waiting in line is just weird, and makes us seem more disabled than we actually are since it perpetuates the idea that blind people also have mental issues, which in this case supposedly make us less patient. I'm glad I've never encountered this type of discrimination. It would make me feel very patronised.

scollarship entitlement in university makes sense from an economic standpoint, as a university degree has more value to a blind person than it does to a sighted person. or at least I think this is the case. My reasoning is that there's very few low skill jobs for blind people, so the government saves money by sending us to university so we can get a job and contribute to society, instead of us being unemployed and leaching from the government's welfare system. Also, attending university as a disabled person is often more expensive than attending as a sighted person due to the costs of adaptive technology, however, here in Canada, we have a specific fund just for that, so we don't need scholarships for that.

Extra points or special quotas reserved for the disabled in colleges and work could also be call ed afirmitive action, which I oppose in all cases. only those who deserve to go to university should go, otherwise we're allowing in people who will be more likely to fail and waste everybody's time, energy, and money. As far as employment, I like what we have here in Ontario; The government can subsidise my salary for a few months. This helps me overcome any bias employers might have against hiring a blind person. The subsidy then lasts for about as long as I need to prove myself to my employer, so by the time that government funding ends, I should have theoretically been able to prove my abilities.

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Theo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Theo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucwgamer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Theo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucwgamer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : drums61999 via Audiogames-reflector