Re: Genres of audio games?

[[wow]], thanks for all the examples!  Sounds like I'm gonna have to play some of these to get an idea of what the gameplay is like.

I'm not real into those city-building games, but I got the idea when you said chess/checkers (and I kinda want to see what that's like without the visuals, since those are games I know)

As for first-person shooters,  it's funny you mentioned Space Invaders - I actually started messing with the same idea just now.  It's a simple panning game, but after 10-15 minutes of code I've already got an alien class that moves toward you and can explodes.

But eventually, I'd like to work my way up to 2D action stuff.  The game my friend showed me was really good, so good he's still addicted after he's beat it a few times.  I'm also a bit of a fiction writer, and I'd love to turn some of my sci-fi and adventure stories into games.  And that 2D format

Also, when you say "menu" games, do you mean like text-based games?  I remember a game back in the day, Final Fantasy, where the battles were all done completely through a menu system.  There were graphics, but the battles were turn-based, so that worked.  I also found one online called "Sryth" that was web-based.  Are these the kinds of things you're talking about?