Re: Goodbye Windows XP, i still get nistalgic over you.

Yeah, Haswell or better will stop being supported in 2017, I think it is. So people wishing to stay on 7/8/8.1 had better get themselves rigs with Broadwell or less if they wish to keep running those OSs until 2020 (for 7) and 2023 (for 8.1).

Yep, Win2000 was all kinds of awesome. It didn't have the best hardware compatibility record, but my God, fast, stable, and kicked arse all the time. It was, after all, a professional workstation operating system--what more is there to say, really? When Windows XP came out, my old Pentium II 400 MHz struggled to run it, but because the screen readers now all supported the NT family, it became feasible for me to downgrade to 2K, which I duly did. That old machine was a server from that day, in 2001, to 2012 when I had to forcibly retire it, running Linux. Happy days, happy days ...

I suppose there is one saving grace: Windows 8 actually toned down the processor usage, to accommodate mobile devices, but trimming the window mana gement to fit with the flat ethic. All the Win7 and Vista users got into a tizzy because they couldn't see through windows any more. FFS. But it was not and will never be a match for the pro workstations.