windows 7 64 bit, windows explorer lagging

Heya all,
I have a lenovo t420 with windows 7 64 bit professional on it. Its worked great for several years with almost no hardware issues.
I have the OS on a 120 gb Crucial SSD, Intel I5 2.5 ghz, 8 gb ram, secondary storage bay for storing files.
The issue is windows explorer becomes laggy throughout a session of windows, until I restart.
It used to be I could have a session open for days, now its just an hour and usually considerably less.
I've checked for malware using malwarebytes, currently defragging all my hard drives and not my ssd, as its a bad idea to do that to an ssd, cleaned up my startup entries, this windows install is no more than about 3 months old, disabled and re enabled the windows indexer, currently running defragler in the background, cleaned up the registry with cCleaner, cleaned up temp files and cache, still no improvement.
I did notice this start happening right around when I accidentally enabled offline files for my nas , of which I got a few weeks ago.
I've ensured offline files for that drive were turned off now, but I have this sinking feeling its still trying to establish a partnership between the drive and this computer.
any ideas? I have almost no more ideas of what I could do, aside from just reinstalling the OS but, ehh, I really don't want to go through with it unless I have no other option.
Please do not recommend third party file system explorer apps, as windows explorer has worked for me for as long as I've used windows based computers.
Thanks!