We are developing a fps audio game using 3D sound (HRTF)

First of all, apologies to all if this is the incorrect place to post this topic, I believed this to be the right place.

As the topic says, we are a small team of developers/students from Cape Town South Africa who are currently developing a first person shooter audio game that features fully simulated 3 dimensional sound. The 3D sound capabilities are achieved through the use of the OpenAL Soft implementation of the OpenAL 3D audio API, specifically making use of the HRTF functionality.

The game plays much like the original Doom video games developed by id Software in the nineties, although with less emphasis on shooting, and more on exploration of maze-like levels with some horror elements included. The player can move and rotate in any direction on the horizontal plane. That is to say that you can move forwards and backwards and side to side, but you may not look or move up and down.

The game is currently in the final stages of development, and we are planning to release it some time in mid-October. We will be distributing the game on a donation basis from our dedicated website, which is not yet live at this time. All donations received will go directly to the Cape Town Society for the Blind.

We are planning on releasing the game as open-source, and have constructed the game to be as mod friendly as possible. The levels are created in a floor-plan format using text-files, where certain characters represent different objects within the game (e.g '|' = wall, 'Z' = zombie). This means that anyone will quickly and easily be able to create their very own levels and play them, should they wish to do so.

Below is a link to the Cape Town Society for the Blind website, as well as my email address if you'd like to contact me directly for whatever reason.

Cape Town Society for the Blind: http://ctsb.co.za/
My email: jackfor...@gmail.com

Please do let us know wha t you think, and watch this space for updates. Oh and feel free to read the cheesy game-play scenario below.

You take on the role of a lone survivor stranded on an abandoned space station where some sort of horribly catastrophic event has taken place, resulting in the deaths of all other personnel. You must navigate your way through the labyrinthine hallways of the space station, searching for key cards and fighting off all manner of foul creatures, in order to reach the last remaining escape pod. Armed with your trusty shotgun, you are ready to do what it takes to survive.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : CosmicNeanderthal via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Figment via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : CosmicNeanderthal via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : CosmicNeanderthal via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nuno69 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ishan Dhami via Audiogames-reflector