Re: The best video game soundtracks?

Personally I have quite a bit of trouble for finding my favourite 8-bit videogame soundtrack.
Especially since the japanese philosophy and the occidental one seem to be quite different in the chiptune department. The japanese philosophy feels more like composing good tunes but exploiting the hardware in a rather simple way, whereas the occidental philosophy feels more like pushing the hardware to it's limit. For example when you here that very fast arpegio that's made to mimic a chord and that sound a bit like a telephone is ringing, there is a pretty good chance that it's not a japanese production.
Exemple of fast arpegio there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D0s7mTNW60
I know what I say may appear as chliché or unjustified, but that's what my 8-bit soundtrack experience tells me.
Now the thing is, both the japanese and the occidental scene offer great stuff, but the occidental scene impresses me even more for it's technical mastery of certain hardware.
For example, did you know that a gameboy color could sound like that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPxdWubUslk
Or that the classic gameboy could do that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMc66XAdGVc
To bad one of the channel's missing at some point on the video. But seriously, that "é" sound at some point of the track was amazing for the time, especially since it was not a voice.
So, with many different way to compose and many great stuff from anywhere, finding my favourite 8-bit soundtrack is like impossible. Definitely one of my favourite videogame era, especially since videogame soundtracks tend to sound more like film scores today, and that makes them pretty unpersonnal in my opinion.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : nuno69 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ammericandad2005 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : hanif via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ammericandad2005 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : pulseman45 via Audiogames-reflector