Re: Pullings from the iOS App Store

For most users and for most things, mobiles are already just the next-generation PC. You can do all the things you really need to do with them, and only things that require more control or oversight than mobiles normally allow requires a person to actually sit down before a conventional computer or laptop. Mostly I believe this is because mobiles are completely vertical, glittering pillars of instant satisfaction and total lack of friction, that are very pleasant to use and easy to forget. I believe it's only fair to point out that the centralised App Store also enables, among other things, instant in-app purchasing and on-line game playing, without all the effort and configuration that would otherwise be necessary. The focus is on making it happen, not on the nature of the computing itself. Similar things can be said about ChromeBooks, for all that; they too are essentially locked-down vessels for Google. The danger here, as ever, is that we become too dependent on these sil os, enjoyable as they are, and then lose our own sovereignty over our computing devices which would be bad.

As for rate of development, I'd say that was more a function of the generally more mainstream nature of mobile apps (which, incidentally, is how I do most of my gaming nowadays). It's also much easier for a developer to push out updates and new content, and the development processes, like the devices themselves, are much more vertical and stable, from the point of view of the developers.

I honestly wouldn't be bothered by all this if Apple would simply issue some kind of warning to users before the app was pulled. "We're going to take this down for breaking shit, please download your copy today and keep it safe." That would do me.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Lord_Raven via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Lord_Raven via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Lord_Raven via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Lord_Raven via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Trenton Goldshark via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jeffb via Audiogames-reflector