Re: Pullings from the iOS App Store

@Dark: Yes, we understand that, but of course we're not everyone. Asking normal users to manage files, when they don't even know the nature of data or filesystems or storage or anything like that, is a challenge. I would love to see more liberalisation in this regard, but I'm also in favour of making things as simple as possible and no simpler and there's no question that iOS is made a pleasant experience by the elimination of many variables that desktop environments have. That's probably less true over time as desktop operating systems move to app stores themselves or employ signatures to protect their users, as well as user-level sandboxing of software, but still, I think for most users doing simple content consumption it's hard to argue that mobile devices aren't now a simply superior option.  I agree with you that doing real work still requires a computer, but then I'm a keyboard user and I'm pretty sure Apple could add keyboar d support to iOS if they wanted to bridge that gap.  We have to move with the times ... and do our bit to advocate for freedom from vendor lock-in, and general-purpose computers that we can actually use to do whatever we want, with whatever level of flexibility that we want.  It's not impossible to do that today, and as long as you know where your iOS device puts data and maintain master copies of things you care about in a real file system under your control, you should be all right.  Well, except in cases like this, where there's no realistic way to prevent Apple from breaking something your older apps use.  The apps in question were already not working for some users, so I'm hard-pressed to blame Apple for removing them from the store, but it would have been nice if they'd given us some sort of warning or at least left them hosted on the store (I believe iTunes can still be used to transfer the binaries, but the app is deleted from Apple se rvers for reasons of contract, which again is understandable).

@Lord_Raven: iOS has some amount of backward compatibility, but of course it can't always compensate for apps. Apple tries to allow apps to work on different screen sizes, or work with older SDKs, but ultimately some architectural and guideline changes simply can't be handled without the developer at least rebuilding their app.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Lord_Raven via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Trenton Goldshark via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jeffb via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Trenton Goldshark via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ZK via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : blink_wizard via Audiogames-reflector