Re: I feel like college is changing my friend

Agreed, and honestly, forced psychiatric drugging has been a thing for way longer than you think. Look up the Teen Screen program, for instance, and don't even get me started on what I think of proponents of ECT, or electroconvulsive therapy. In short, in the former case, schools get paid a premium by the states that they reside in based on how many children attend who are registered as suffering from a mental illness of some kind. As for ECT, that's a whole other can of worms that I don't even want to attempt to open, but I think it is a cruel punishment in all but the most severe cases, only slightly less barbaric than lobotomy. So no, keeping minorities silent, and yes, I do agree that what it means to be a minority is rapidly changing in today's society, is not new, and it's no better or worse than it ever was. It's just different faces who are the poster children for suffering.

I've probably said too much in this post already, but what the hell, I might as well go all out while I'm at it. I can respect your decision to believe that gay/trans people aren't born the way that they are, but think about it like this. Did you ever question why you're straight? Did you ever even think about your attraction to girls? The only reason that it seems like gays deliberate so much about their sexuality is that they know it's not the norm. They know that they will be ridiculed for the choices they make about who they date and sleep with. But really, that's the only difference. At our core, we all have desires, and, unless somebody is going to tell me that they woke up one day and went, "Hmmm, I think I'll decide to be straight today." It sounds ludicrous, doesn't it? Do you think gays do this? If so, why? Only a psychotic break of the highest magnitude could cause such a drastic change of self-awareness, right?

I'm being dead serious asking these questions, by the way. I d o not mean to start a flame war, or imply superiority or impose my beliefs on others. I just never received a satisfactory answer to this quandery, and it's something I've always been curious about.

Now, let me close this post by giving a little background about myself, so all of you can understand where I'm coming from. I consider myself a Christian. I was raised Methodist, but haven't attended church in many years, mostly due to the hypocrisy that many churchgoers display, to say nothing of how many so-called Christians treat those with disabilities. I also have a fair bit of trauma surrounding matters of faith which I won't go into here. With all of that said, I have also had enough experiences with both good and evil presences, for lack of a better term, to warrant a strong belief in both the power and anger of God. So here's what I personally feel. We were all given choices for a reason. I truly do not believe that anyone can help being gay o r straight. I don't know why some people are born gay, but I do believe that everyone can adjust their actions according to what they think is right or wrong. And if something feels wrong, more people would do well to listen to their instincts and not do it.