Re: the Helen Keller Conspiracy

I've actually run into helen keller  quite often in course of my research.
Firstly, the simple answer about whether a nine year old write like that is heck yes! especially at the turn of the twentieth century when the maturity level for children generally higher anyway.

Hellthe political philosopher john Stewart mill  learning griek at the age of four, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see someone writing coherently at the age of nine, especially someone I might add for whom writing was her main way of interacting with the world.

I will say I do authors who magnify Helen Keller into some sort of angelic figure a ridiculous, indeed if you read a little about her you realize she was as human as everyone else, for example there's a  detailing how much she disliked people with learning disabilities and was sorry they shared a common area.

I would certainly agree that the use! of helen Keller as a symbol is  far too often ridiculously overblown and patronising, but that she did achieve some extraordinary things I don't doubt.