Re: dungeons and dragons or, DND as many call it.

Well first, D&D isn't the only tabletop role playing game (what are sometimes disconcertingly called pen and paper games, (though pen and paper aren't actually necessary).

There are many others, from science fiction games like fading sons, to modern urban fantasy like white wolf, to the wonderfully sort of otherworld historical swashbuckling setting 7th sea, indeed there are people who say recent editions of D&D have changed the rules rather too much and now it's more of a tabletop war game than an rp game, but since I've only ever played third edition of D&D and that was some time ago (now I think they're on sixth), I can't confirm.

I myself played mutants and masterminds each week with several friends for a few years, --- a modern day superhero game though the gm had us go to everywhere from arcadia to outerspace (and for someone who is not a superhero  I really enjoyed it).

that game finished due to the gm' s wife having a baby unfortunately.

I've since done a couple of weekends playing 7th sea, which is great fun, ---- last time I was a perminantly confused fifteen year old fate witch.
The honest answer if your looking for something similar to a tabletop game online purely and simply your not going to find it.

Firstly because no computer program has  ability to adapt like a human gm does to whatever the players do, and write a story around them, and secondly and more crytically, part of the fun of rp is that it is! real time, and social and atmospheric.

It's the fun of coming up with stuff off the cuff and just sparking ideas off each other. You plane wouldn't get that online, even if you were playing with a small enough group of players (which most online games don't have).

Personally I regard computer role playing games and tabletop ones with actual people as different things, and I enjoy them differently.
computer rpgs (even muds which have multiple players), I regard as solo questing and exploring, and the stories involved I regard as the quests and story text of the game, likewise I regard the combat as statistical and often enjoy it just as an exercise.

Tabletop rp is %100 different, and I'm afraid your just not going to find something like it.

the best I can do is suggest some of the more story driven games we've seen. things like the choiceofgames gamebooks, the gamebooks on the ff project, king of dragon pass (which has one of the deepest stories I have ever seen),  maybe muds frandom etc, though even those aren't exactly like an rpg.

Sorry I can't be more help, but as I to me computer rpgs and tabletop live rp with actual people are just too different and trying to find one thing in the other would be like trying to find a cut of roast chicken that tastes just like steak. They're both meat, they're both enjoyable, but they& #039;re fundamentally different things.