Mason Sets UltraPower Free!

MODERATION:

Following much painful turmoil on these forums, which many of you will be very well aware of both very recently and for quite some time now, we are very pleased to announce that UltraPower has been liberated by its author, Mason Armstrong, who has agreed to give it to the community in the spirit of goodwill, and to end the inevitable debates around its continued use. Games based on its source code are now officially permitted on this forum, provided that you give credit to Mason for his hard work.

We, the moderators, are extremely grateful to Mason (Masonian, on the forum) from the bottom of our collective hearts for generously volunteering his work on an official basis to the community, and we hope that it promotes the spirit of peace and cooperation that these forums depend on to flourish and ends all the unpleasantness surrounding this source code. Mason has, by way of setting the record absolutely straight, agreed to appear on this topic to confirm what I have written and give his blessing himself.

On a personal level, I hope that this will bring what has been a rather tumultuous and difficult chapter in this forum's history to a close. When I first made the call to protect Mason, I did so because I believed in the principle that game developers should be protected from outright theft of hard work, even though the circumstances of the code's release were frustratingly avoidable, and it meant a world of pain trying to balance the needs of new developers against the inevitable reality that the code would get out there no matter what. I am glad this forum stands so passionately for developers, and I am glad that we have members willing to defend this principle over any personal gain they might enjoy at another's expense--even if there is still some work yet to do in that department. We need our developers to make fine games, and if we aren't prepared to defend them from code-stealing rip-off merchants then w e can't really be surprised when nobody contributes. I hope people will count themselves very fortunate that Mason has chosen to behave so magnanimously, in giving the community what it has so often longed for, and in bowing against his own personal interest to the inevitable that his code will probably be used forever, just to end the conflicts around all the unauthorised copies now out there that people are choosing to play. He has saved this community the work that other developers are now taking for granted, and the moderators the time of policing it. The other moderators and I are very grateful for this, and I'm quite certain that anybody who plays many of the UltraPower derivatives games--which are now officially allowed--will be too.

This topic will be stuck in General Games for a while, and then eventually it will migrate to Site & Forum Feedback, as per usual. Remember, if you use UltraPower code or derived code in games, you need to credit it to Mason i f you are going to distribute it further.

Thank you for your attention. And thanks again to Mason for liberating UltraPower!

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : masonian via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : masonian via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : vlad25 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : masonian via Audiogames-reflector