Re: Any experiences with massage chairs, seats or devices

My problem with the things you're asking about is the ones I have seen go over the spine, and that's not only uncomfortable, that's somewhat dangerous. Being a massage therapist myself, I would definitely recommend going to see someone. I tell my clients it's like going to a mechanic for your car. You can go when things break down, but it will cost you a lot of time and money, or you could come on a semi-regular basis for a tune-up and oil change.

If that's not feasible because of money, I would suggest daily stretching, applying heat, and making sure to drink lots of water. Be mindful that if you're at a computer a lot of the time, you're posture is probably hunched forward with your head also forward. This contributes to pain between the shoulder blades and the neck because the pectoral muscles become tightened.

One stretch that can help with the pecs is standing in a doorframe. Let's say take your left arm, and reach up so you r elbow is bent at a 90 degree angle, and grab the side of the doorframe. Step forward with your left foot and twist slightly to the right. Stretch only to the point where you feel the stretch, but not to the point of pain, and hold for thirty seconds.

As far as the neck goes, it really depends on where the pain is. You can sleep with a rolled up towel under your neck, you can do a couple of stretches from side-to-side, or you can try a different pillow.