Re: Identifying possible console audible indicators

When I listened to the recording, I had problems with the part where 5 , 4, and 3 notes were played simultaneously. However, if the pitches of the notes were further apart or they were different sounds, I might be able to tell them apart more easily. Also, in the recording, all the notes had the same origin point/came from the same direction. If they each came from a different origin point/direction, it might be easier to seperate the sounds. For example, I might have trouble identifying the notes C, G, and A if all played in front of me. However, if the C was played in the left speaker, A in the right speaker, and G in the center, I might be able to identify the tones better. I also talked with some friends who are involved in music. They said they think the rule of fourths may actually be called the circle of fifths. One comment they made that might be helpful is that differentiating musical notes can take some training depending on the notes. For example, most people can easily differentiate between a low C, C, and high C note. But they may have more difficulty telling the difference between a B, C, and C#. Differentiating at that level may require some training.  Most people probably find it easier to differentiate between types of sounds than pitches of musical notes. Also, there are different types of note identification.  Does someone need to identify a specific note or that notes relationship to other notes? Play a E note and most people can't identify that it is an E. But if you play 2 notes, most people can recognizewhether one note is higher or lower than the other--though the closer in pitch the sounds are, the more difficulty they might have with that task.
So, if you want to use 5 notes, you might need to use notes that are a bit further apart. However, if the sounds of the notes are coming from different directions, the differences in the pitch of notes may not need to be as much. Another potential idea is to use a combinat ion of sound types and pitches. For example, the A button is a low quick chime, the B button is a high quick chime, the X button is a low quick beep, and the Y is a high quick beep. The fifth button could be a different sound type or perhaps one of the 2 previous sound types played in a mid range.