Re: Quests, quests, quests...

You just answered your own questions in your own reply.

In a quest-centric, but especially in quest-limited games, we accept and complete quests in order to progress.
Those are not actions we can freely choose to take by ourselves, but actually a MUST, requested/expected by the game, (its developers that is), as prerequisits of our further advance.
Let's see, which options we have, what are actually our alternatives in such games:
There are only 2 of them:
Since we have to accept and complete certain quests to "move on", we are in fact forced to accept them, wether they suit our choice, wish, plans, mood, style, expectations,etc, or not.
Then, we can either successfully complete them and make a progress in the game, or we can fail, and retry, start them over, and keep trying until we succeed, for we have no other allowed options or alternatives left in the game.

This means we are obliged to follow an already prescribed, predefine d route during our gameplay, instead of being allowed to choose our own prefered path of progressing in the game.

In my Mahjong-example, AI-prescribed, predefined pairs of tiles present such obligatory quests, completing which is a must, meaning they are obligatory prerequisits  for any further game-advance.

There...I hope this explanation is clear enough now!

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Caccio72 via Audiogames-reflector