Re: Do not, ever, enable WSL

Ethin wrote:

@21, exactly. And Windows does broadcast it's SSH connection availability to the LAN (and, if your on a WAN, to the WAN; and, if you've got port forwarding enabled for port 22, to the world). And considering that there is no way to security it other than to disable port forwarding entirely for all windows 10 machines on your network that have developer mode enabled... or to disable developer mode on all windows machines (a bad idea if you have visual studio installed)... well, you get the picture.

I'm just going to ramble. You'll probably think I'm talking shit because I don't have a certification anyways , but here goes... in this case on my system anyway, that thing would only respond to 127.0.0.1... Regardless of an SSH server running, you'd never know if that was the "thing" that got you anyway. Anything at all that is listening on a port is a pain p oint. It doesn't have to be a visible one to the wider internet, nor does it automatically mean it's safe if it's only listening to localhost, and it doesn't have to be listening to the whole internet. This is a problem because sometimes things are not what they seem, or there are hidden exploits either unknown or left there for law enforcement.
At the same point it's pretty restricted to people who really should know what they are doing so... I'm mixed on this...
I get you, but unless you're going to push a non patched exploit to me, I just don't see why I should care so much. Microsoft should stop this, but... You just don't know about the wholes in things... For all you know, a private service that might only be listening for one IP could be controlled somehow without your knowledge... It all depends on how secure the internals are, and how many backdoors they leave in the OS, no matter it's name... We all take risks wit h computing. You might think this is a big deal , but are you really safer just because you stayed with an old version and shut down services and hammer update servers? It's your choice to consider. I think security includes keeping up to date, but it's deeper than that. Like fine, go ahead an disable this if you travel a lot with your laptop and you lean on the paranoid side. I totally get that, but no non power user should even be turning this on. Forgive me: My only experience with the telemetry in Windows 10 is fixing a mail.app crashing whenever I composed a message with someone at Microsoft. So... Since it fixed a bad bug: It's worth it to me so far.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Jonnyboy1991 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kyle12 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : serrebi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Kyleman123 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : serrebi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : serrebi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : serrebi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : serrebi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : serrebi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Zersiax via Audiogames-reflector