Re: I'm kind of concerned about the culture surrounding usability

@Dark

The reason they call us disabled is because they'd rather not have anything to do with us, so calling us disabled gives them an excuse to say that we can't do anything so they don't have to give us a job or provide products we can use or make their building accessible to wheelchairs, and so on. Unfortunately calling someone disabled is far more acceptable where calling a black person the N word isn't, so they will continue to do it.

It's great to see big companies like Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, and TiVo take steps to make their products usable by every one. But while they tout that they are making accessibility a priority, remember that they aren't doing it for some altruistic reason, they are doing it because some law was passed that requires them to. Their only concern is their bottom line so for them accessibility is just a means to be compliant with accessibility laws and as a marketing strategy to generate goodwill.

@Drac oSelene89

That sounds a lot like the NFB, they do seem somewhat militant in the way they do things. Don't get me wrong, I applaud what what they do as well as what they stand for, I just don't think their NRA attitude towards accessibility for the visually impaired isn't the best way to get there. Remember that you attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Locutus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector