Re: I'm kind of concerned about the culture surrounding usability

The guy I was talking to on twitter was borderline shilling for the UK organization, bragging that "over 20% of the UK workforce is under it". I think that claim is likely misrepresented; I think its more likely that they partnered with several major UK companies and this is where the number is coming from. I also doubt that much change is actually going on in these companies and rather just "corporate red tape" everyone has to get involved in. It feels like when these people get the words they want to hear they're settled without actually dealing with the core problems.

I agree with the issue regarding legal enforcement of accessibility; they do sort of strike this convenient middle ground as a set of consultants/developers that allow themselves to take over this niche, but it does cause accessibility to be stagnated as it focuses on implementation before everything really has "gotten to that point" yet.

The excuse I'm given is that "if we spent our time working out everything to be perfect then nothing would get done", but it's less of a matter of things being perfect and more of a matter of things not working at fucking all.

I think that accessibility at least on a software level can be made to be cheap; it's just that implementing accessibility has to be made more intuitive for developers. What I notice about this clammoring UX crowd is that they have little interest in the scalability of their applications; if they did, they would wince every time "education" was brought up since it's extremely difficult to scale and takes tremendous resources in comparison to an easy to implement method that simply hooks everything up ready to go.

What are your opinions on job stability? The UX designer in question seemed to have little to say about it, however I doubt that it's as secure as people claim it is. From what I've witnessed, outside of distance work on the internet, blind people generally are shafted onto menial work or testing, before eventually being let go, due to performance issues (which imho are technological).

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rithkhmer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Jaseoffire via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : StevenCrype via Audiogames-reflector