Re: carrier grade nat?

Fair enough, but running a VPS with OpenVPN or whatever is not straightforward, and you don't get the static IP address assigned directly to you. So, swings and roundabouts really. nvpn.net is $8/month for the same public IP albeit that you need dedicated software AFAICT, and must manually forward ports. My ISP offers this service to me for free using my existing IP allocation, or I can pay £10/month for it with a new address. I'm sure there will be others if you Google about ...

Perhaps what we really need is a social VPN just for audio games. That would be fun, I suppose. Somebody could set it up, and then whoever wanted to game could log in. But it would not be peer-to-peer, so there would be a latency penalty.