Re: Why do Braille innovations always fail?

The whole electrovibration 2d+textures thing had me wondering. Last I heard, the smallest Tixels™ are about 1in^^2, but can apparently do arbitrary shapes. So if we focus on an intersection of 4tx, we need each tixel to convey at least 4bits of information. So 8 textures and 2 shapes, or whatever combination is practical. More shapes would be better, but I'm not sure it could handle enough single-tixel shapes.
More realistically? The requirements are that we can shove 8bits of tactile information into  something around 2cm^2. Would it be more possible to have an array of 1cm windows that can open or close, and maybe have a bigger pin-type thing or 2 under it? that's not much, though. If you could have more than just up/down as states? Down, partially up, entirely up? If we can fit 4 3-state dots into the space normally reserved for 6-8 2-state dots, we can have 81 combinations. 6-dot braille supports only 64 combinations. So there's that.