Re: Audio Maze first demo

Hello Steve and welcome to the forum.

In terms  of the location of this thread, new releases = new release games, including alphas, betas whatever. Just so long as there is something for people to download and play that is fine.
I have downloaded and tried the game myself and  did have a few questions.

I really like the echoing footsteps here and the beacons sound very cool, and of course w'ere always interested in someone creating new audiogames, especially those that involve exploring.
I'd love more in the rpg field, but if you fancy something else that is fine too (other than space invaders games we've pretty much got a need for audio versions of every game genre).

Now for the questions and feedback.
firstlyI noticed that if I just walked forward the walls seemed to turn around me, indeed when I tested by walking directly towards a wall things seemed to turn. If you have the game set thus far to make the player turn if she/he strikes a wall that probably isn't a good idea, ideally the player should stop moving at that point.

I also wonder exactly how the walking works at this point.
Since on the one hand you talk of "walking forward" and "left and right" but then you note that the left and right arrows are used to look around the place.
So I presume the game is first person and the arrows are intended to turn the player to a given direction while w walks forward and a and d sidestep?
Or is the gamethird person, ie, the player moves on a grid pattern with w north, d east etc, with the arrows being used to look in different directions?

A bit of clarification might be helpful here since I wasn't exactly sure of the audio vs player movement at this point (I believe it is first person but again I am not certain).
control laye

If indeed the game is! first person, you could consider using a more familiar layout for keyboard keys, i ndeed a common one we've had  using a and d (or left and right arrows), on their own to turn the player, and control in conjunection with those arrows to snap to a %90 turn, with shift and arrow to sidestep (arrows or a s d w keys both work for this).

You might also consider a way for the player to know their coordinates in space in the maze. I don't know if you think of this as something of a cheat, but one problem I did have was knowing which bits of the maze I had and had not explored.

Hope some of this is helpful, and I look forward to seeing where this one goes.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Riad via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Steve via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Steve via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Orko via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Steve via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Orko via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : alisson via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : sanslash332 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Orko via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : brian . kurosawa via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Orko via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : crashmaster via Audiogames-reflector