Re: Audio Maze first demo

@Dark

I believe that navigating in this game parallels navigating in mainstream games in that the A and D keys are side steps rather than turns. And forward is always whatever direction the player is facing. It's not like Entombed where the up arrow, or W key in this game, is always move north

@Steve

As far as keyboard keys, I found the WASD inverted T comfortably familiar as this is the most common keyboard keys used in the mainstream games I played before I lost my vision, the big difference being that in mainstream games the mouse is more commonly used to turn and look about instead of the arrow keys, but I would guess that many blind users don't even bother hooking up a mouse to their system. I know I didn't until I started looking at Aprone's Swamp which uses the mouse as part of looking around and navigating.

I agree that more clarification on how navigation works is needed. Do the arrow keys turn you little by little so that it ta kes several turns in one direction to turn 90 degrees or does each press of the arrow key make that complete 90 degree turn?

In sighted games, you rarely have to provide a way for players to know where they are because the video display provides that reference, but with audio games where there is no video reference, it's common to provide a key that when pressed will tell the player his coordinates on the game map and often the direction they are facing.

I also noticed the turning affect that Dark mentioned but where he thinks he is turning I think it's an illusion being caused by all the walls around you making noise. If you are surrounded by walls, it's difficult to know which way you are facing and how much you are turning. A more common approach in audio games is that the walls don't make any noise but you can hear wind where there are opennings. It's also common to make a bumping noise when a player tries to walk into a wall.

That' ;s all I can think of right now. Not bad for a first run at it, I look forward to seeing where this game goes. Keep up the great work.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Steve via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Steve via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Orko via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Steve via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Orko via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : alisson via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : sanslash332 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Orko via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : brian . kurosawa via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Orko via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : crashmaster via Audiogames-reflector