Re: The Future and past of audio games

Muhammad: I appreciate the shout-out, but for fairness' sake, Out of Sight Games really shouldn't be listed in a list of top audio game dev until we've released a project that can be judged on actual gameplay, and not just from its demo audio :-)

CAE_Jones has a really good point, which is that the development cycle for small indies is unforgiving. Even more so for small indies who can't hope to make a living off their games and have to develop in what time they can find around day jobs—and since the audio games market is such a small niche, that's probably going to remain the case for audio game developers unless we find a way to market to the mainstream as well.

CAE's also right that the issue isn't that we have outdated genres. Check out big releases on Steam and you're going to find tons of side-scrollers. The issue is that mainstream devs are pushing the envelope—creating games with high production values, interesting premises, compelling writing, and so on. That's what we need to be doing. There's nothing stopping a blind dev from making a blind-accessible side scroller with a riveting story, powerful script, and engaging features akin to anything being made today—and a game like that wouldn't be stuck in the '90s, it would be every bit as modern as a 3D Call of Duty clone or anything else.

Big Gun: Regarding my comments on post eight, I'm not saying that the future of audio games lies in developers going back and making old games accessible. With very rare exceptions, that's probably never going to happen. What I'm talking about is developers making new games with more and more attention to accessibility, until hopefully some day the mainstream titles being released are just as playable by the blind as they are by the sighted.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : flackers via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : BigGun via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : MikeFont via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Rory via Audiogames-reflector