Re: The Future and past of audio games

Well the breakerbox stuff was not impossible, but I am not sure how jiro did his stuff, but one can assume that he wasn't just lazy.
I put in cash for all his games and only about 5 of those ever came out and he is gone from the net at least right now.
The issues we may face especially if we are new is that we are so confident about what we do that we suddenly find ourselves in quicksand but we are roling on the hype river and suddenly we run out of fuel.
One thing thats a challenge apart of using modern styles and languages is playability.
A game is fine especially a classic with a title like shades of doom, but we now need randomised things, stories and different things, or different enough that we as users find that we can well continue to play.
Often all our games have a finite  end after which they are basically clocked.
I have seen this happen with some sighted games, the games are brought played, then either sold on or simply put away when I asked a friend that put a game away after being so enthusiastic about it for several weeks, he said, its crap and I don't like it.
I then said why.
Then he said, I clocked it, its played, consumed, there is nothing else to do.
And ofcause with steam which is why I detest it in addition to logins there are updates and a lot of extra junk and if a game is clocked and completed fully with nothing left people won't play it all the time long.
And thats the reason I have never stopped playing smuglers, missions are different and I have never truely completed the game even though I have played it for several days straight.
I once had a poker game playing for several months and never finnished it ever.
What our games need is a story wich is several stories, several starts, several ends.
In short a story where while some stuff is the same other stuff is different, and its not up to the story to end its up to you to choose the best end.
Eventually you will go through the endings but by then you will want to come back.
Sadly I have seen this with the bavisoft games.
I wanted to see what they were like, I needed them, I didn't care if they were pirated or not.
But I got them, played them, consumed them, and suddenly I was happy I in fact got the pirated coppies as I had now wasted 80 dollars on 2 games that like a packet of crisps were now totally crap because I had eaten all the content there was to eat and there was no more to be gained so they got trashed.
I do think the next approach is with the mainstream market with the following restrictions.
We can't afford your super gaming grids.
At most the average user will have a business level laptop a custom built desktop or something lower.
While 64 bit is becoming more normal  a lot still use xp, or something else.
You may have a 1 or 2 gb graphics card, and you may have more than 4gb ram, you are more likely t o have the internals, and if you need something more than nvda well who knows.
Its pritty much unlikely we will be able to afford top of the line vr headsets.
I have managed to scrape together enough cash to buy the sets I use and was given from a friend's estate another pair but to be honest, I can't see myself spending more than 100 for sets and they have to last a while.
I have a now old 30 dollar mouse, I was given my 300 dollar gaming keyboard for christmas last year.
My computer is an old toshiba which due to the fact I have family may have the ability to replace but most don't usually have the funds.
So our games are probably limited to the stereo field, maybe 3d positional sounds but more binoral sounds rather than full surround sound  7.1 etc quality.
We may have some basic subs etc which I do but thats about it.
I also have a few soundcards but most of us will have the internal cards which are crappy realtech ones and any effects are turned off because they interfier with speech.
Some of use use smartphones and some consoles but for the pc user you have limits.