Why I am 100 percent against schools for the blind

So I've never been to one of these. I've always gone to public school like everybody else. I've never been seen as any different. I've been bullied, sure, but who doesn't from time to time? Almost everybody I know who goes to a school for the blind is always sheltered in one way or another and never use their cane or read braille. Now somebody better tell me how that is learning independence? Those schools are supposed to teach that, but instead of inforcing safety and reading habites, they let kids do what they want? And don't even get me started on the accessible technology. When you walk in a computer room, you have the option of jaws, window eyes, NVDA or voiceover. In the real world, that's not what happens. You have to voice your needs and fight for your rights, not have everything handed to you at every given moment you need something. I do not think schools for the blind are needed in today's society, but if somebody has a different view, please share it here. I may also be wrong on some things but that's what i've heard about them. Also, when ever I go to events at the school near me, I actually feel blind, or feel disabled, if you know what I mean. Its like all the staff are silently saying "Hey, your different, you belong here." But I also feel like I don't belong there and usually by the end of the week i'm just wanting to get out. God, I could never spend 10 months of my life locked away in a place like that I'd feel imprisoned, I'd go ensane. How were you people when you came out of there after high school? I've always thought somebody who's always gone to a blind school would be screwed once they left, because they actually have to look for what they need rather than have it there always when they need it. Basically what i'm trying to say is I think there's no reason blind people shouldn't live in the real world like everybody else, why should we be sent away somewhere just because our eyes don't work? I don't even think the accademics at those schools are a the same level as regular public schools.