Re: Why I am 100 percent against schools for the blind

I went to a school for the blind in England and I hated it. I was lucky enough to be able to go home every night but I pittied the poor kids that were residential. you could see the effect it had on them. they had no social skills and were used to being wrapped in cotton wool the hole time so had no concept of the real world outside. a lot of them when they left went on to other colledges for the blind where they mostly went off the rails because they didn't have the support a they were used to and nobody telling them what they could and couldn't do, or when to do or not do it.

as the previous poster said though, it depends on the situation. I too was in school during the 80's and early 90's when mainstream schools here just weren't geared up for blind people or people with pretty much any disability and so we didn't have much choice.

the school I went to now only takes extreme cases who also have other special needs. where possible kids are mainstreamed from the get go now and I totally agree with that. I just wish I'd had the same chance.