Re: UFC 3 demo available with blind acessible trial

Hi folks.

This UFC accessibility mode thing came out of a personal discussion I was having with one of the UFC development team, long before I knew anything about what Karen and her team were doing over on the Madden side.

I have been messing about a lot with UFC 2, and decided to go out on a limb and contact one of the developers on Twitter, and see what kind of response I would get. The dev was extremely interested in learning more, so we began discussing a lot about accessibility and how there are lots of blind gamers out there.
By the way, in case folks missed it, I'll post a link to my audio guide to UFC 2 (still a work in progress).
For hints on how to play UFC 2 as a blind player, see my six part audio guide and comments in this forum post http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=23199

I will try to give you a run-down of some of the things that will be in this beta, and why we chose what we did (or why the dev chose what he did to put into the beta). smile
At the time, the dev didn't know if he could go all the way with accessibility support (IE, using more sound queues and the like). So, he asked if he it would be helpful if he put rumbles (controller vibrations) for certain fight events. Since I have a real familiarity with UFC 2, I gave him some ideas.  First, there will indeed be rumbles for a strike coming, I believe there will be different rumbles for high or low blocking. Also, there will be rumbles for when a take down is coming. Currently in UFC 2, there is really no good way to tell when a take down is coming and defending the take down isreally really hit and miss. smile

As Karen said, turning it on is a bit (well strange sounding at first). Let me explain. The dev figured initially that the quickest way to get accessibility changes into this beta build would be to have the mode toggled on by a string in the fighter's name. That way, he could put some changes in without messing about with the UI, which would involve lots of other folks getting involved. So in other words, one could create a fighter and use a certain string to trigger the mode. I suggested the string of a11y, since that is being widely used to describe accessibility. Unfortunately, he discovered that numbers are not allowed! smile So, we settled on the rather silly sounding aiiy. Get it? a I I y. The i's look like print 1's! Yeah, I know a stretch, and hopefully Karen can get them to just include it as an option, but heck, we have to start somewhere, right? smile

Jeremy Hartley