Re: Should Teachers Determine Who's Allowed To Touch Your Equipment

I had a pretty good public school experience, and my O&M teacher actually was big on that I should NOT go to a school for the blind and my VI teacher was extremely good too. The two were somewhat controlling, but not in the ways that are being discussed here.

One tried to undermine my parents' authority where my parents' legitimately should've had some and also tried to convince me that everyone besides her was trying to control me, where in reality my teachers and family were pretty much "you wanna do it, do it." and even had rehearsed conversations she would have with her husband, the only other blind person I knew well and later a blind friend that obviously were trying to manipulate me. But in terms of equipment and stuff, they were pretty open, just people other than me should not use my cane. but she was so insistant on me being utterly independent (can't was a word she never used) I actually have trouble asking for help when I legitimately need it now.

The VI teacher was pretty conservative but she also opened up a lot working with me and even after she retired she came back from retirement to work with me alone as she was the only person qualified in the state to teach calculus-level Nemeth Braille stuff and advanced scientific Nemeth as I was in very advanced classes. But she largely fought for me rather than fighting against me, arguing that I should do gym, allaying suspicions that I would hurt myself in the lab in Chemistry, and stuff like that as you largely needed an adult advocate in my school system, and raising Hell when in sixth grade my new Middle School hired someone specifically to follow me around and make sure I didn't get hurt. The person did that for half a day and then had her job descriptions dramatically and suddenly changed as my Mom and that VI teacher tore the school a new one.

I was yelled at just once for letting someone use a Braille and speak as I had taught a friend the rudiments of braille and in a class we would pass the thing back and forth and have it say stupid shit that kids think is super-funny but we were indeed being inappropriate and disruptive.

Maybe there aren't as many protective laws in the UK Dark as my public school experience was really good and my college life was heavenly. If someone in my middle school fudged with me the school would've come down on them like a ton of bricks. In high school that was even more true and in college the thought would never even cross someone's mind. I don't understand how college life in England could be so much worse, or at least "secondary school" means college in the U.s.  than England. I didn't even go to college in a particularly enlightened part of the Country, living and going to college in Kentucky but that sort of cruelty was unthinkable.

At one point in High school my laptop was stolen overnight that I kept at school and was given by the state. The person was never caught but many of the students were practically wielding pitchforks and burning torches for whoever did it once it became public knowledge.

one last thing though. "rubber Monsters?" sounds like Monster in my pocket, they were one of my favorite toys when I was little. As a lot of D&d players actually used them as figurines for their games and the fact that  they were actually of really good quality. They sell them in England and the rest of Europe from what I know but they haven't been sold in the US for going on 25 years now I think. The last I remember was they had Monster in my pocket wrestlers you could get in some cereal boxes as prizes, and I was like 10 when that happened.

The Nintendo game Monster in My pocket was also a pretty good game too, and I was so proud of myself when I was able to beat it consistently.

sorry, the mention of what sounds like Monster in my pocket took me down memory lane, but again, I don't understand how your educational experience was so much worse than mine. I get it for the School for the Blind, but beyond that?

I really don't understand it because I'm really ugly and weird-looking. with eyes 1/3 the normal size with blue whites and perpetual pink-eye, a v-shaped jaw with a mouth I can block with one knuckle of my pinky finger, a face that is unusually bird-like, a tracheotomy and really mess-ed-up frog-like shoulders. I also drool because of some permanent jaw numbness and difficulty shutting my mouth. By all logic, I should've been a target. I was picked on a bit in middle school, but it was just the occasional bit of pencil, paper wadd, or holding fingers an inch from my eyes and asking how many there were. my response was to flip them off and respond (how many fingers am I holding up?"