Re: If there would be a way for getting your sight back, would you do it?

I thought the ambassador thing was folded into 10, which, yeah, that is unfair and obnoxious, and is a function of the increased statistical weight a single member of a group has as the group gets smaller. That's a problem that is apparent to just about every visible minority, and it is troublesome that groups like the NFB seem to encourage ambassadorship when everyone without a pathological need to be special would generally prefer otherwise. (#notAllAmbassadorsAreLikeThat tongue )
The social model of disability is clearly not correct, but I think this is more the nature vs nurture thing as applied to blindness, and in that sense, I feel like reality is much closer to the social model than you seem to. Mostly I just want to do my own thing without having to run to my parents or some random civilian for every little thing, and the truth is that this is almost as possible as it is for, say, a traveler who took a plane somewhere and didn't bother with a rental car. Shopping less so, if you'd need to read labels (and you generally do), unless you use one of the latest apps and take 3× as long as everyone else. Otherwise, my main issues are people. (Also not having much money and wanting to make games with graphics.) I'd definitely prefer more braille and better braille tech, but I'm not going to go demanding people retrofit their buildings and make signs that are easy to find with a cane but not your face, or that Google share some of their billions to make braille/tactile tech be halfway decent. ... Wait, no, I'd totally tell Google to do that, if they ever asked for my opinion tongue. But I agree it's unreasonable to throw a fit over it and people who do tend to make us all look bad more than they accomplish anything.

I will grant you that my house needs some repairs, which I have not gotten around to because my options are to either bug family about it, hire someone to do it, or obtain all the tools and materials (which would probably mean going to a hardware store and hoping no one questions the blind person buying a box of nails etc) and feeling around places that the wildlife has taken a fondness to. Also I'm a little unhappy about the facd that doing it right would require ejecting the stray cats who hide under my house in bad weather (and probably deter rodents and snakes), but mostly I want to minimize unwanted questions or encounters with critters. Whereas if I could see, even without a car, the hardware store would not be the least bit anxiety-inducing, and I'd be able to spot things that might bite sting or otherwise inconvenience me without doing anything special to protect myself. Half of that problem is a psychosocial one, and the other half is because of blindness directly. OTOH, how many sighted people would do it themselves, instead of hiring a repairman? I'd rather do it myself, just because I like that sort of thing, but I'm kinda caught between an unpleasant society and a hornets' nest.